THE SHIELD EFFECT
- 3,200 sf pre-engineered metal structure complete with three walls and one open-end bay.
- Reinforced concrete mat slab foundation with custom in-ground grit / wash water chamber.
- A single bay dedicated for both rail-mounted and rubber-tire equipment washing.
- Rail equipment maintenance sump.
- Translucent roof panels, ceiling/wall-mounted lighting and ventilation.
- New approach rail spur and track bed alignment.
Our innovative approach to design and engineering overcame previous challenges that hindered the project for months. Unforeseen environmental conditions were encountered during excavation with approximately 500 cubic yards of petroleum-impacted soils excavated and managed during development. Modifying the original soil disposal plan saved our client over $5,000 in additional fees.
The final product was a new facility incorporating the specific needs of a rail yard that also complied with the requirements of the Commonwealth of Virginia. The owner also benefited from proactive construction management services, resulting in a total savings of nearly $23,000 on a $350,000 project.