5 Things You Didn't Know About Environmental Spills
June 4, 2015
One small spill can have a lasting effect on the environment. Because of the impact environmental spills can have, it's important to understand the magnitude of damage that can be caused by one miniscule leak.
To put into perspective, here are five things you probably didn't know about environmental spills.
- A gallon of spilled gasoline can cost anywhere from 5 to 500 times as much to clean up as it does to purchase it from the pump. In other words, it's anywhere from $10 to $1,000 per gallon to clean up.
- One gallon of gasoline can contaminate a million gallons of water. This is almost twice the volume of an Olympic-sized swimming pool.
- One pin-sized hole in a tank can leak 400 gallons of liquid in a year.
- In general, the longer it takes to clean up an environmental spill, the more expensive the clean up will be.
- The Action Environmental Group has been available cleaning up spills 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for over 20 years!
To receive monthly updates from Shield Engineering, subscribe to the Shield newsletter by submitting your email address on the left side of the page.